Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Valley of Vision

A beautiful song came onto my iPod yesterday at a moment when I needed it the most. The words rang true to my head, and it cut me deep to the heart.

The song, by Bob Kauflin, is called "In the Valley." Always before I have thought of the difficult times of life as being the "valley of the shadow of death." Though this is a biblical term, this song put things into perspective for me.

When You lead me to the valley of vision
I can see You in the heights
And though my humbling
wouldn’t be my decision
It’s here Your glory shines so bright
So let me learn that the cross precedes the crown
To be low is to be high
That the valley’s where You make me more like Christ

Let me find Your grace in the valley
Let me find Your life in my death
Let me find Your joy in my sorrow
Your wealth in my need
That You’re near with every breath
In the valley

In the daytime there are stars in the heavens
But they only shine at night
And the deeper that I go into darkness
The more I see their radiant light
So let me learn that my losses are my gain
To be broken is to heal
That the valley’s where Your power is revealed

The Valley of Vision . . . think about it. Is it not when we are in the valley of the shadow that we most feel the power, love, and support of God? Despite the fact that it is tempting to be angry at God during these times, they are the times when I most feel that I cannot be angry with God because I feel His love surrounding me, uplifting me, and urging me to press forward. It is during these times that I can see God most clearly. The last verse of the song, especially, struck my heart. There are stars in the heavens during the daytime, but they only shine at night--God is always with His children during the good times, but His glory shines the brightest when we are at our darkest moments. This song really encouraged my soul yesterday. The rest of the world thinks that God abandons His people when they go through trials and tribulations, but the truth is that He is never with us more than at those times.

1 comment:

Anne A. said...

Erin, I printed out that song a long time ago, but have never done it. Maybe we'll do it soon in church! I really enjoyed reading your blog!
Anne