Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Take Two

Most people who know me probably have realized a few things about me: I love to cook, I love to have people over, and I do not love housework.

True, there are a few things that I enjoy about cleaning.  Bleaching things makes me happy (killing germs: hooray!), I cannot cook in a messy kitchen, therefore tidying it serves a purpose, and loading the dishwasher with dirty things that I can deal with later brings me a small feeling of joy (yes, I did procrastinate throughout college).

Things seem to be my enemy.  Things begin to pile up.  Things not put away immediately turn into a mess.  Once there are a number of things that have been left undone, there are a lot of things that must be done . . . and I find that unpleasant.

In an effort to keep said things from accumulating around the house, I have adopted a new motto: "Take Two!"  Every time I move from one room to the next, I either take two things to be put away or I clean two things.  Through this, cups make it to the dishwasher much sooner, clothes get put away much faster, and the house doesn't deteriorate quite so quickly.  In fact, there is less to be done at once!

While Patrick may not be noticing an immediate difference, I can say that the last two Saturdays have NOT been spent cleaning.  True, a little tidying has been done, but we have actually been able to get more accomplished or (shocker!) actually have some fun!  This last Saturday, we managed to get one home project started and completed--a new ceiling fan in our bedroom . . . with an overhead light!--and we bought the supplies for this week's to-do (sealing our windows).

If you struggle like I do, I challenge you to "take two" and see if things look just a little  bit better around your home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea! I need to adopt your motto :)

a.friend said...

How about if I just take two friends home with me and try to Tom Sawyer them into white washing the fence...I mean cleaning the house.:) I guess that would not be showing much Christian love...
unless we did it to praise music.

Sorry for being silly. I am running low on sleep.
BD

a.friend said...

I like the new format. Very refreshing and cheery. Have you had any snow yet?

grey rose (they/them) said...

wonderful plan!

love your sweet blog. xo