Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Birds and the Bird Watchers

The phrase "I'm never home" might be just an attempt an an excuse for some, but the saying is literally true in this season of our lives.  We literally are never home.  Between visiting family and house hunting, we spend more time away from our home than we do in it.

During the few moments that we actually spend within the walls of our comfy condo, though, there is one activity that never seems to grow old: bird watching.

I have always been fascinated by birds, and our condo backing to the woods has always provided ample opportunity for me to enjoy the winged beauties from afar.  However, my mom gave me a small suet feeder for our anniversary last July, and I think that it is hands down my favorite gift that I have ever received.  For less than ninety-nine cents a month (birds go through suet fast!), I am able to have flocks of birds on my porch almost nonstop.  Seriously.  At any given time there are as many as six birds vying for spots on the feeder.  A hierarchy definitely exists, however.

When a male cardinal is present, all other birds must defer to him.  It seems to be the unspoken rule of sorts.  If a "lesser" bird does not vacate the feeder quickly enough, the male cardinal fights for his place (which is often comical because most of "my" males are so fat I am amazed that they can even fly!).  Once he is done, he flies off to a tree right behind our porch and keeps his eye on his female until she has eaten her fill.  While this is being done, all the other birds sit below and wait for seeds to drop out.  Once the cardinals are done, the other birds are free to feed at will.  Interestingly, all the other birds seem to be fine with sharing, and I often see three to four birds on the feeder at once.

At first, Patrick kind of laughed at me when I would share the latest antics of "my bird friends" with him when he got home from work.  In time, though, he began to see for himself just how fascinating it really can be.  Now, watching the birds is a family past time.  Patrick, Natalie, and I enjoy seeing brightly colored cardinals, yellow-bellied sap-suckers, cat birds, sparrows, and chickadees chowing down on our porch (and yes, my mom gave me the handy-dandy bird guide for Christmas so that I can identify all the birds on my feeder!).  Pippi loves stalking the birds.

When we move, eventually, I think that I am going to keep our renters supplied with a suet.  I've never been one to abandon friends, and I certainly will miss the birds that have brought me so much joy over the past eight months!

No comments: