Friday, April 4, 2008

This Week in Witnessing

I had an experience this past week that was kinda neat. For the past month, I've been watching and waiting. For what? My chance. A Hindu friend of mine informed me that she had to write a paper comparing Christianity and Islam. "I know NOTHING about Christianity," she said, "so when I write it, I will ask YOU because you know all about Christianity." Wow. I began praying for wisdom and that she would remember . . . Well, my opportunity came on Thursday, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. As it turned out, she decided to compare and contrast the way both religions treat women. Before she asked me for help, though, she asked someone else. Who? A dear, sweet, older Roman Catholic woman who believes that "All religions are just so BEAUTIFUL!" My heart sank. A few minutes later, my friend turned to me and asked for my input as well. "Oh yes," the other woman said, "Erin probably knows a lot more about this than I do!" Well, we proceeded and I was able to insert things about God and Christianity as we went. The bad part? My friend decided (I think I was busy at the time) that since the term Christianity encompasses such a large variety of denominations, she would limit her paper to the Roman Catholic view on women. Hmmm. Well, since I just happened to be sitting at the computer next to her . . . let's just say that I continued to help her out with her research, all the while explaining that Christianity is the religion that offers the most equality to women, that the Bible (about which she knew nothing) was inspired by God, and various other truths. Not exactly what I'd been hoping for, but it was a major opportunity nonetheless. I pray that God will continue to give me opportunities to share with my coworkers and that I will be as shrewd as a serpent and as wise as a dove.

No comments: