Friday, October 28, 2011

Sundried Tomato Chicken and Broccoli Soup





NOTE:  I accidentally highlighted the text, and now I can't  figure out how to get rid of the highlights.  If anyone knows, PLEASE tell me!!


Since I have been on this diet (more of a lifestyle change, actually), I have been trying to come up with creative ways to make delicious foods that are actually good for me.  A few months ago, I made a creamy chicken and broccoli soup that Patrick really liked.  Because I LOVE making and eating soup, I decided to make a practically carb-free, fat-free version.

I had a bunch of people over for soup, and I made a savory chicken noodle and this "diet" soup.  The diet soup was even more popular than the chicken noodle!

I thought that I would share the recipe here because who isn't looking for the next deliciously healthy meal?  Everything here is approximated, though, because I always throw in a little of this and a little of that and never bother measuring.

3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-2 bags of frozen broccoli (depending on how thick you want the soup) slightly thawed
2 large onions
3 tablespoons chopped garlic (I keep a big jar in my refrigerator)
5 tablespoons or more sun-dried tomato paste (I get the kind in oil with garlic and spices)
Adobo without pepper
Rosemary
Italian Seasoning
Oregano
Basil
Dash of crushed red pepper
Salt
Pepper
Grated (NOT shredded) Parmesan or Peccorino Romano cheese

Put the onions through a food processor until they are chopped finely.
Put them in your soup pot(s).
Throw in the chopped/minced garlic.
Add chicken breasts and cover with enough water for your soup broth.
*Note: I use two medium pots and put half of the chicken and onions in each.  It takes less time to cook and it's easier than fishing the chicken out of a huge pot later.
Generously add spices and boil until the chicken is tender.
*Note: It is important to be generous because there is no fat to flavor the broth.  I always put in a lot while the chicken cooks and then add more as the soup simmers throughout the day.
Once the chicken is tender, remove it from the pot and fork it apart.
Put back into pot and turn the heat down to medium low.
Put the frozen broccoli into the food processor and chop until very fine.
Note: When the broccoli is finely chopped and then cooked, it almost gives the consistency and taste of rice in the soup!  All nutrients/veggies and no carbs!
Put the broccoli in the pot.
Add the sun-dried tomato paste and mix.  (BE GENEROUS WITH THIS!!)
Let simmer for a while, then taste.
Add in more spices to taste.  I use a LOT of Adobo, and it gives the soup a very savory taste!
Stir in several tablespoons of grated cheese (the cheese should look like powder).
Let simmer all day.  Taste throughout and see if you need to add in more spice.

Ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkle of grated cheese.

Yum!!

2 comments:

a.friend said...

Your soup sounds delicous. It would especially be great on a cold Michigan fall day...like today. Sad to say I am the only one living at home that likes broccloi. Perhaps you could start a mail order service and I could just send for some. Keep cooking and writing. May God bless you...and your kitchen.
BD

Erin said...

I'm not the biggest broccoli fan either . . . the soup honestly doesn't taste like broccoli . . . which is probably why I love it so much!