Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Urgency of the Word

When you think about it, the free offer of the gospel is an AMAZING thing. It is so simple. I am overwhelmed when I consider the awesomeness of God's salvation plan. During my reading tonight, I came across the verses: "Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters; And you who have no money,Come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price . . . Seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon." Isaiah 55:1, 6-7. How many other religions have a god who freely offers life to His people? Who is so kind, so loving, and so merciful? None. There is ONE GOD and He is Jehovah. So many people today, though, tend to overemphasize God's love. Yes, God is a loving God. Yes, He calls the weary to Him that He might grant them rest, but . . . The chapter here also says, "Seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near." What does THAT mean? I think it's rather evident that God may NOT always be found and that He will NOT always be near. This really is striking home to me right now. I think it adds urgency to the message of salvation. When I am with my unconverted friends, family, and coworkers, I need to be more faithful and more diligent to share the Word with them NOW. If I neglect my duties of today, who knows if I will have a tomorrow? Who knows if God will be near tomorrow? I fully understand that it is God who works salvation in a person and that if He has not chosen to save a person then nothing I can say/do will change that, but I have been called to be a light shining in the darkness. People must be told not only of the mercy of God, but also of His wrath that they might see what a future without the nearness of God looks like. Therefore, I pray for the strength be more faithful in sharing the Word and not only the Word, but also the URGENCY of the Word. Seek God, yes, but seek Him NOW. Do not put it off lest your heart be hardened.

No comments: