Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Witness in the Workplace

I have found that my new job has "diversified" my world. Now, I work with people from all over the world and come into contact with many who hold to different religious beliefs. I have Muslim and Hindu coworkers who are fast becoming my friends. While I definitely do NOT want to be one of those Christians with a clipboard and spectacles who has an agenda and says, "Hi! I'm here to convert you!" and then checks her duty off her list, I most certainly DO want to be a passionate sharer of the Good News. I can't just do my "Gospel dump" for the day and be done with it; however, living an authentic, unashamed Christian life before my friends and boldly sharing the Word of God is key. While no deep religious discussions have yet come up (and the workplace doesn't offer the best time/place to have such talks), my new friends all know that Erin is DEFINITELY a Christian. Interestingly, my Hindu friend is taking a comparative religion class. Today, she told me that she will have to write a paper comparing/contrasting Christianity and Islam. "I know nothing about either of those! When I write that paper, I know who I will be asking to tell me about Christianity! Erin! You and your friend will tell me!" she said. Wow! What an opportunity THAT will be! For now, I am only able to share little things with all of my coworkers as we chat between students who need attention: I go to church on a regular basis. "Oh, what denomination are you?" Reformed Baptist. "Oh, what's that?" etc. However, just recently I was able to share facts about the Bible, the Puritans, and the doctrine of predestination with someone else . . . "You sure know a lot about predestination and the Puritans." "Yeah, well, I believe like the Puritans and . . ."

As I read in my devotions tonight, God teaches "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:11. God has given me these opportunities for a reason. Despite the fact that I may never see any fruit come of my labors, I take comfort in the fact that God's word accomplishes ALL that He wills. Amazing. I'll just keep throwing out seeds on whatever soil comes my way and God will take care of the rest. I don't have to worry about anything beyond doing what He has commanded me to do: sharing the Gospel with a world in desperate need of His love, His mercy, and His grace. Please keep me in prayer as I attempt to be a loving, shining light in dark places. May God give me the proper words to speak, may He grant me boldness and tact, and may He even now be preparing the hearts that He will send my way.

No comments: