Tuesday, May 31, 2011

This Week

What is it about this week in my life that God seems to choose it as the time in which to place the heaviest burdens and trials upon my life?  Why is it that this week is so difficult and perhaps about to become even more so?  I'm not complaining, truly I'm not, but I cannot help but wonder why this week.

Poppop is not expected to live through the week.  This is bitter news,  especially as I had been holding out hope that God might grant him just a little longer.  Perhaps He still will, but things are looking very bleak right now.

To receive this news that it might happen this week, out of any week in the year, is particularly upsetting to me, and I am struggling to rest in the Lord.

In 2007, I lost two very dear people to me during this week: Mrs. Carol Cummings and my grandfather, Leo Wilcox.

Today marks four years to the day that Mrs. Cummings went to glory (see In Loving Memory).  After teaching VBS with her for several years and seeing her often at my grandparents church, I had come to love and respect her very deeply.  For her life to have ended so suddenly and so shortly before I was again to teach with was shocking and heart-breaking.

June 3 will be four years since Poppop Leo passed to be with the Lord.  For those who know his testimony, it was a particularly amazing thing that God saved him so soon before his death.  After years of hardening his heart against the God he hated, my grandfather, through God's grace, became a completely different man.  He prayed for me.  He prayed for others.  He radiated love.

2007 was such an emotionally challenging time for me.  When this particular week rolls around every year, I am once again reminded of those who I lost in such a short span of time--one a friend, one a grandfather.

Facing Poppop's possible loss this week is even more emotional for me for these reasons, but it will be a rough journey for me no matter when my Lord decides to take him.

Poppop, I love you so much.  So much. And I will miss you for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll remember to be praying for you throughout this week, Erin. God can accomplish so much when we are sorrowful.