Sunday, June 5, 2011

Soon

Poppop made it through this week.  Today, Mommom called to say that he was feeling a little bit better and that he was up for visitors.  After church, Patrick and I made the two hour drive to NJ to visit with him.

Although he was definitely in a weakened state, it did our hearts good to hear him laughing and joking with all of us.  It was a wonderful visit that I will never forget--especially since it wasn't "supposed" to happen.  I didn't think I'd ever be able to see him again.

When it came time for us to say our goodbyes, Poppop grabbed my hand and pulled me close.

"Come here, Erin.  Come as close as you can get."

Holding tightly to my hand the entire time, he leaned in for a kiss before he said,

"Erin, I pray that I'm around to hold your baby.  But if I'm not, I'll see you both again.  Soon.  I love you."

I barely managed to hold it together until we made it back to the car.  Even in this time, he took the opportunity to remind me that we part only for a short while before we are once again united in Christ.

I praise God for the blessing of having a grandfather who is in the Lord, and I am especially thankful for the knowledge that my grandfather is able to look forward to seeing me again in heaven where we will spend eternity praising our great God together.  Forever.

Despite my sorrow, I am so grateful to God for the certainty of salvation.  There are those who feel that one cannot know one's final standing with God--they think that they must just keep on doing good works and trying to please God in the hopes that He will be happy enough to let them into heaven.  If you are one who believes this, I pity you.  Know this: God teaches in His word that we CAN know.  We can KNOW.  I am certain that I am a child of God, and I can say with authority that I will see my grandfather again because he also has turned to Christ as the only means of salvation.

Not only could I not have asked God for a sweeter blessing than the visit that we had today, but I know that there could have been no words on earth sweeter to my ears than those that Poppop said today.

Even if Poppop is not around to hold my baby--and in all likelihood he will not be--I will see him again . . . soon.  As Patrick so often reminds me: it may seem like a very long time to you, but there is no time in heaven--to Poppop, he'll be seeing you again tomorrow.

So, Poppop, I do not say "Goodbye."  Rather, I leave with "'Til we meet again" . . . for we shall.  Soon.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great perspective, Erin. Praise God you've gotten bit more time with him too!

Anonymous said...

"These things have I written to you that you might know that you have eternal life"

Please keep writing and God bless you.