Friday, September 16, 2011

Holy Heavy Cream, Batman!


Right now, I am eagerly awaiting Patrick's (hopeful) early return from work.  He doesn't know it yet, but we are going to go to Starbucks when he gets home.  I'm hoping that there will be some sugar-free "fall" syrups available to pump into my decaf Tall coffee.

Daydreaming about my coffee-to-be reminded me that, when we started dating, Patrick's favorite drink to order us was a Grande Americano with sugar in the raw and heavy cream--yes, the heavy cream that they hide behind the counter.  His idea, not mine.  I didn't even know that hidden heavy cream existed.

Unfortunately for me, it is difficult for me to imagine EVER asking for heavy cream in my coffee again.  Yes, it tasted a-ma-zing, but I highly doubt that I will ever be in a place in life where I will be willing to pour all of that extra fat into my body.  *Shudder*

I always knew that the day would come when losing weight would take more than just "cutting back" for a few days (oh for the days when that would yield a five pound loss with little effort!), but I didn't expect it to come so soon.

With the world's focus on body image and being extremely thin, it can be difficult for one, like myself, to stay positive.  Most of us will never be tiny enough to model or to be in a magazine, many of us will struggle with weight for the rest of our lives, but all of us should love the bodies with which God has blessed us.  That's right--blessed us.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat healthy foods, watch portion sizes, and be careful about caloric intake, but I am stating that being obsessed with such things is not wise.

It is my belief that sin brought weight struggles into the world, and it is most definitely sin that causes dieting and the desire to "be skinny" to become an idol.

Do all things to the glory of God--including your efforts to stay healthy and in shape.  Do not feel sub-par because you don't fit into a particular size, and do not let anyone tell you that you are anything but beautiful.  Beauty is on the inside, and when you are beautiful to God, that beauty radiates into every part of your life.

2 comments:

Heidilea said...

Hey Erin! You encouraged me to finally start a blog too. You are a beautiful person. I love to read your thoughts and am inspired by your wisdom. :)

Hannah Kyrie said...

Oh Erin! Thank you for writing this post! Now that I'm officially post-partum it's time to start the great journey to weight loss and getting healthy. *sigh* It is such a struggle! I lost a great deal of weight after Isaiah w/ no effort besides breastfeeding. This time around it's not coming off as easy and I can already tell that. Yes....being overweight definitely is related to sin. LOL! Thanks for the encouragement! :)