Monday, June 20, 2011

Contractions, Heartburn, and a Cell Phone That Doesn't Work?

As I sit here having contractions (no, don't get excited yet--I've been having them for weeks) and battling heartburn, I look forward to the day when I can reclaim my body as my own.  Various "issues" assail me right now, all related to pregnancy, and I've forgotten what it is like to function without another person lodging in my body.  I really hope that she comes out soon.

One of the hardest things emotionally right now is speaking with my grandmother.  My heart breaks as she tells me that she has no appetite and that she really has no motivation to cook for just one person.  I almost begin to weep as she urges me to love and enjoy the time that I have with my husband--she assures me that  I have an amazing one.  My eyes well with tears as I hear her almost cry on the other end of the line.  I love her so much, and I can not begin to imagine the way that she is feeling right now.  Adjusting to life without Poppop will be extremely difficult for her, and all that I can do is love her, pray for her, and call her as often as possible.

It did make me laugh, though, when she told me how frustrated she had been because it was so difficult to get ahold of me.  Quickly I racked my brain for whether or not my phone had any missed calls, and I didn't remember any--and my ringer had (for once) been on most of the day.  She then explained that she kept trying to call my number and the phone kept asking for a password.  After several tries, she finally gave up and called my sister to find out what was wrong with her cell phone (or mine).

As she was relating this story, I realized that she had been dialing my OLD phone number into her phone--and SHE now possesses my old number.  The password she needed was for voicemail.  Anyway, I did not tell her that I had programmed my new number (which I have had for over two years) into her cell phone several months ago so that my name would pop up when I called . . . I guess she was just looking at her old book of phone numbers--the one with the rotary phone on the front--instead of looking through the contacts in the cell phone which she claims does not work properly.  User errors, all of them.  ;-)

Please pray for this dear, wonderful woman as she deals with the loss of her beloved husband.  Life without him after being married for nearly 61 years will be hard, but her trust is firmly rooted in her Lord and Maker.  

No comments: