Monday, March 7, 2011

Disjointed Continuity: Such is Life

I had a health scare on Friday when I woke up with pains all across my baby belly. Of course, Natalie had picked the past week to "tone down" her movements, so the combination of painful stomach muscles and the lack of kicking in my gut had me panicked. The doctor said to take it easy since there was nothing that could be done if anything was, in fact, wrong (23 weeks is too early), and I did. Saturday saw the pain on half my belly gone, and then came Sunday.

My baby does NOT generally move during the day. She likes to wait until I am good and tired and just about asleep. Sundays, however, are different. For some reason, she delights in hearing the voice of Dr. Nick Ganas as he preaches and she revels in distracting me as she tries to display her immense leg strength. I must confess that it often takes me by surprise: nothing, nothing, nothing, BOOM! If you see me laughing in church, it is because my daughter is trying to keep me from paying attention. Of course, Patrick sees me half jump in surprise and half giggle to myself, and then HE wants in on the action. "Is she MOVING?!?" he asks in an audible whisper just before reaching over to start poking my stomach in an effort to provoke his child to wrath. I have a sneaking suspicion that we (and when I say "we," I mean HE) are distracting everyone sitting behind us . . . and that would be the entire church since we sit in the very front.

Saturday saw us running up to Christiana Mall in Delaware to register at the mega Target store. I had a coupon for a free $20 gift certificate with the opening of a new registry, but it had expired on February 17. Being my mother's daughter, I decided to try and use it anyway. I got the impression that Patrick was embarrassed that I would even ASK the cashier if she would honor the coupon . . . guess who is now in possession of a $20 gift certificate to Target? He was just a little bummed when I refused to let him use it to buy some clothes that he found on the clearance rack, but hey--I did all the work. That free money is for the baby . . . or me since right now the baby and I are one. ;-)

Today marks the last day of peace in my life. Not forever, but quite literally for the rest of the week. The home restoration guys are coming bright and early tomorrow morning to, *gulp*, set up scaffolding in my dining room, pull out and replace the wet and ruined drywall, and to paint the water damaged ceilings of nearly my entire home. It's not their fault, but I can't help but be irritated that my home will be invaded for most of the week by men doing a job that they should not have to do! Yes, it's true. This is the second time they are coming in less than a year, and the damage is much worse this time than last. If only the condo association had fixed the roof properly the first three times . . .

No comments: