Monday, March 28, 2011

Pictures, Conversation, and Music

Despite the return of chilly weather and the absence of warm breezes and sunny skies, I have been decidedly thankful and filled with joy this past weekend.  First, we did a 3D/4D ultrasound and got to see our beautiful daughter, then Patrick had a fun music gig at the public library.  We even had an interesting conversation in the middle.

Natalie:





My daughter is cute.  Really cute.  Somehow seeing her face changed everything for me.  Yes, I was completely excited about her before, but now I have a face to associate with her.  Instead of just talking to the faceless, wiggling girl in my womb, I can now picture her as I speak.  When I feel her kick, I know exactly how she looks.  Even her unpleasant placement of her feet in my ribcage is now just a little bit more acceptable because I've seen them there (yes, we even were shown a her wiggling feet moving between my back and my ribcage . . . ).  Truly, this was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Conversations: Mars and Venus?

On the way from my parents' home (after the ultrasound) to pick up Patrick's guitar at our home, we had an interesting discussion in the car.

I pointed out the trees on the side of the highway: red buds swelling with life, about to burst open at any time.  A week ago the trees all looked dead, but they were now filled with the promise of beauty and life to come.  I mentioned to Patrick that it almost made me cry because it showed me just what an amazing God we serve.

He grunted and said, "Great."

This annoyed me just little because I wanted him to share in my wonder and awe.  I began talking about spring and its similarities to the Christian life: winter is a time of death (or apparent death) and spring is the bringing about of new life.  Every flower that opens declares God's glory because only He can open it; every life growing in every womb cries out the wonder of God because only He can perfectly knit it together.

He understood, but his sense of awe comes from what God allows man to do: the music of Bach and Mozart, the contour of a beautiful building.  To him, these are the most awe-inspiring works of God.

We are both different: we each see and praise God for His amazing creation, but we view said creation in different ways.  While I may feel that nothing speaks of the wonder and creativity and splendor of God like the beauty of His natural creation, this emotion in no way decreases the glory of His workings through the hands of men.  As long as one is proclaiming His glory, I guess it really doesn't matter what part of His workings awe one the most!


Music:

This gig was by far the most enjoyable and entertaining of any Patrick's that I've ever attended.  The group played for a bunch of 3-8 year old children, and they also talked about rhythm, instruments, and music.  It made me realize just how much fun having a young child will be: these kids were up dancing, singing along, and just plain having fun listening to some good, clean music.  One little girl in pink cowgirl boots just danced and swayed the entire time while her little friend threw his stuffed dog up in air and did tricks to catch it while he danced.

When the guys didn't know the words to the "Scooby Doo" song (a request), one boy of about 4-5 got up and sang it from beginning to end complete with dance moves and a few sound effects.  During "Old MacDonald," animal noises and shrieks of laughter filled the room.

All in all, it just made me think: Patrick is going to make a great dad, and we are going to have a lot of fun with our kids (especially if they get his dance moves!).



No comments: