Thursday, July 21, 2011

Don't Knock It Til You Know Us

Recently, I have had a few comments made to me regarding home schooling and it's lack of socialization and effectiveness.  Each of these statements have been qualified by a "You and your siblings are the exception--home schooling really worked for you, but it usually doesn't" or some such remark.

I'm going to stand on my soap box here for a minute or two and address these observations.

As one who was home schooled for twelve years and one who intends to home school, I know how most of the accusations against home schooling are untrue firsthand.

Growing up, most of my friends were home schooled . . . and most of these friends went to college on full scholarships and have turned out to be very successful (and sociable) people.

When I was younger, people would stop my family and ask us if were were home schooled because we were "so polite and able to carry on sophisticated conversations with adults."

Nine out of ten of my professors in college were thrilled to discover that I was home schooled because they felt that, from past experiences with home schooled students, home schoolers were usually very organized, respectful, hard working students who strove to do well.  They loved having home schooled individuals in their classes.

It is my belief that people are stuck back several decades ago in their beliefs and attitudes about home schooling.  Home schooling has become a well established "institution" in America and throughout the world, and time has proven that it is a viable, successful means of educating one's children.

Granted, I do know families that should not have home schooled (for various reasons), but I can only think of two out of hundreds at the moment.  There are children in public and private schools who struggle to succeed and who are shy/antisocial, but nobody comments on those students.  As with anything, there are always a few "bad apples" in the bunch, but it is unfair to judge the majority based on one or two cases.

Don't knock it until you know us.  I would dare anyone who thinks that home schoolers fail to be socialized and are under-schooled to get to know ten home schooling families.  If your opinion has not changed after that, then fine.  However, please do not lump all of us together because of rumors that you have heard or one bad family that you have seen.

Okay, I'm done ranting now.  I honestly would not be choosing to give up my career to home school my children unless I thought that home schooling was an effective, wonderful way of educating my children.  In no way am I saying that home schooling is the only or most elite way to do things, but I believe that it is the  best choice for my family.  I am proud to be a home school graduate, and I am excited to be a home schooling mom.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am reminded of Rehoboam, the son of Solomon, who discarded the advice of the old men and consulted with the "young men who had grown up with him," in 1 Kings 12. Not only can over-socialization with one's peer group become a deterrent to a balanced/healthy social life, it can also lead to an utter disregard and lack of respect of one's elders (as evidenced by the attitudes and comments made by many students in my classes at the university) and the wisdom gained by their age.

Of course, not all in-school students come out unbalanced, disrespectful, and unable to converse with any but their peers; in fact, I know many who have flourished in a public school setting. However, I agree that too much time spent with foolish people can be greatly detrimental. I believe that it really depends on the adolescent and on the home life of students.