Friday, July 22, 2011

Things I Have Learned Since Becoming a Mom

I have learned a lot of things since becoming a mom--some funny, some painful, and some just plain frustrating.  Since I believe that life begins at the moment of conception, I am going to include things that I discovered while I was pregnant as well.

#1.  Pregnant bellies are not always cute and round.

I remember the first time that I thought, "Oh my GOSH!  What will people think?!"  I was walking into Target when I happened to look down at my belly.  Instead of being cute and round, it was . . . lopsided and unsymmetrical.  Nobody ever told me that that would happen.  I was seriously bothered.  :-)

#2.  Going to the bathroom all the time is not just limited to the daytime.

Sure, I knew that pregnant women had to go ALL the time during the day, but I was under the delusion that it would stop at night.  Boy was I wrong.  I haven't had a decent night's sleep since last October!

#4.  Feeling the baby kick inside the womb is not all laughs and giggles.

It hurts.  Plain and simple.

#5.  Heartburn and reflux really are "that bad."

Enough said.

#6.  Mothers know best.

Certainly I had always heard this mantra, but now I  know it to be completely true.  Twice in the last month I have seen that my instincts are spot on: both with my recovery problems and with Natalie's gas and screaming fits.  After calling/seeing doctors, it was deemed that I had a serious issue and that she has reflux.

#7.  Late night feedings are not so bad.

I mean it.  Other than the initial, "Man, I just want to SLEEP!" things really are kind of nice once I settle down to feed my baby.  Looking down at her happy little cute face, so excited to be about to eat, any irritation at my disturbance melts away.

#9.  I will kill for this child.

You hurt my baby, you're in major trouble.  Although I have always been super protective of those whom I love (just ask about the times that my parents or my husband have had to keep me from rushing to call up someone who has hurt one of my siblings or my parents), this feeling has been magnified 100 fold now that I hold this precious child in my arms.  Guess this means that you'd better watch out when dealing with the rest of my family, too . . .

#10.  Pink outfits and purple hair bows do not keep people from asking her sex.

#11.  God must REALLY love us.

For as much as I love this little girl, for as much as she is the apple of my eye, for as much as I would rather take on all pain and suffering for her, God must really love His chosen people because sending His only Son to die in our place shows a love beyond comprehension.  

#12.  I will never tell a pregnant woman that she is huge, say "Are you STILL HERE?!?" or tell her my birth story unless she asks (you would be amazed how many people want to share horror stories with a first-time pregnant woman!).

1 comment:

Hannah Kyrie said...

Oh Erin how I enjoyed reading this blog post! So true! I love it! You're a fabulous mother already! <3