Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Two Years Later . . .

Monday was my two year anniversary.  It seems almost strange to think that two years ago I was preparing for my wedding day when on Monday I was making breakfast, nursing my almost four week old daughter, changing diaper number six of the day, and setting up my new bluetooth so that I can talk on the phone while doing these things.  So much has changed in the last two years, and I am a very blessed woman.

Natalie is four weeks old today, and she has been doing really well.  At night, she sleeps for at least one five and a half hour stretch.  She is a big eater and an ever-growing bundle of love and joy.  Now if only I can remain consistent as I attempt to train her not to scream every time I put her down while she's awake.  She does not need to be in my arms as I furiously bleach the bathroom or work with raw meat.

While some may feel that my college education has been "wasted," I feel that being a wife and mother is God's ultimate calling for me.  I now am beginning to take joy in having a clean house.  Not that I didn't love having it clean before, but now I'm actually motivated and am finding housework just a little bit more enjoyable.  My house is actually looking better now more often than it did before I had Natalie.  Weird, but true!

I love cooking for my husband, and, while I do have the occasional bags under my eyes, I actually don't mind getting up in the middle of the night to change diapers and feed Natalie.  In fact, it brings me satisfaction to know that I am able to let Patrick get good rest for work by getting up quickly when the baby wakes up in the wee hours of the mornings.

Life now is so much better than it was two years ago.  If I thought that I loved Patrick then, I had no idea how much more I would love him now.  After two years, we get along better, we have more in common, and we are continuing to grow as one.

It warms my heart to see him grab Natalie as soon as he gets home.  He hoards time with her before she goes to bed . . . and that includes changing her diapers and holding her as she fusses.  We spend time as a family and then time as a couple.

Recently, I was told that now that the baby is here, "He loves her so much--now you're just along for the ride."  This could not be farther from the truth--both the truth of reality and the truth of what the Bible teaches.  We believe that our marriage needs to be first and foremost--if our marriage tanks, so will our family.  If our marriage suffers, so will our children.  Children are a blessing and are important, but so is our marriage.  Please pray for us as we strive to build our marriage while we raise Natalie and the children that we pray will come after her.

3 comments:

Hannah Kyrie said...

Doesn't it feel like such a wonderful accomplishment to make it 2 years?! It's sad but in this day and time, it's rare! And to be so happy and learning so much in Christ and in each other! Natalie is so precious and I am SO happy for you all! Congrats Fulford family! ;)

Erin said...

Thank you both. I am so thrilled to be a wife and a mother. I can honestly say that it was always my highest ambition in life, and nobody was ever, by God's grace, able to convince me that it was anything other than the noblest of callings!

When I think of all of the marriages and families that fail, I am so humbled to know that our family right now is so strong. It reminds me to never cease praying for the healthy and longevity of our marriage and for wisdom in our child-rearing.

Hannah Kyrie said...

Very well said Erin! :) I'm not so eloquent with words, but what you said is right on! :) All of the time I feel so overly blessed, because I have EVERYTHING I've ever wanted in life. God is just such a gracious and wonderful God! I'm so glad that I am HIS.